Saturday, May 17, 2014

Zuh-what?

unnamed, Z?, 7" x 6", oil on  card


    Another little ebay find from several years ago. I like small paintings, because I don't have much (any) free wall space. So small is among the first things I liked about this work. Then I liked the colors and motion in it. And lastly, I liked the $9.99 price, which is what I paid for it. The signature is close to readable, and I thought (argh!) it would be a good research opportunity. The name looks like "A. Zosber" or "A. Zesber". It could also be Zesbet or Zosbet. It came in an interesting frame that makes me think it is a 1950s, or early 1960s work. Just a guess. The seller was in Gouldsboro, PA, but this kind of feels like a California painting to me. I have found myself standing in front of this painting many times, trying to decipher the signature. Help!







4 comments:

  1. Dear Kevin, I have a W Stewart watercolour, a Venetian lagoon scene. I have tried to get in touch using kevin@kevindaniel.com but no luck so far. If you would like, is there another way to get in touch with you? With thanks, Tim Harding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      My kevin@kevindaniel.com email address is working with no issues. As a matter of fact I got emails from two W. Stewart watercolor owners at that email address in the past few days, one on Monday and one on Saturday. Please try it again. I'll double check my spam folder, as well...

      Best,

      Kevin

      Delete
    2. I don't think so, because there are more letters than that, but your suggestion made me take another look, and I think the signature could be Zeybek or Zaybek. I did find an artist named Hasan Zeybek, who is from Cyprus, but don't think this is his work. Good guess. Thanks! kevin

      Delete