Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mitchell of California?



"Yacht Harbor", L. V. Mitchell, 8" x 12", watercolor, 1952

 I found this at a local thrift shop for $1.99. It was barely held in a modest frame and very dirty, so it did not look like much. I thought it had kind of a California watercolor feel about it and was pleasantly surprised to find a lengthy inscription on back when I opened it up: "Yacht Harbor from Coast Guard Landing Terminal (?)land Cal May 11, 1952". This might be the Oakland Marina, but I could not find any pictures that match the scene shown in the painting. Probably the work of a talented amateur, though I have seen works by well known California watercolor artists that is not much better. There is no mention of an artist named Mitchell with these initials in any art reference book I have examined, but I suspect there are other works by this artist out there, maybe more fully signed. Any assistance in identifying this artist is appreciated.



2 comments: