Sunday, July 15, 2012

Simply Simpkins?


unnamed, Simpkins, 3" x 5", oil on board




unnamed, Simpkins, 5" x 7", gouache on board


Mystery solved! I was able to identify these paintings as the work of Carmen Zitelmann Simpkins by comparing the signatures on my paintings to that on one on a work on FindAGrave.com, which was posted by someone who knew Ms. Simpkins.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=99964145

The link also contains her lengthy obituary and other information contributed by a friend.


These two small paintings are an ebay acquisition. They appear to be by the same artist and came from an estate sale via the same seller. They are so different in style that I probably would not have guessed they were by the same artist, since I was only able to determine the signature on the abstract painting because it is relatively clear on the guoache. Both had the framing label of the Burrison Art Galleries, Philadelphia. This gallery apparently moved several times, as I found similar labels for at least three different street addresses. The signature on the gouache appears to be "S or C Z Simpkins". Possibly the work of Berlin born Cuban artist Carmen Z. Simpkins, 1913-2011. I have been unable to find any examples of her work or signature.




Signatures


15 comments:

  1. I believe I own an original oil by C Z Simpkins. I would love to confirm this and find out more about the artist. Is there any resource you could direct me to? Pinotjpp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her lengthy obituary appeared in a Maine newspaper here:

      http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/369061/Simpkins-Carmen.php

      Still not found much information about her work as an artist.

      Kevin

      Delete
  2. I own 3 original Simpkins paintings. (all signatures are exactly like your photo CZ Siimpkins). They came from my Grandmother and Simpkins was her favourite artist. I thought she was from Bermuda as my Grandmother purchased them there. Perhaps now it may seem that she lived there at some point. I love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes she lived here (Bermuda) in the 1960s. Her husband gave me one of her 1966 paintings as a wedding present. Carmen was furious, because he had not asked her. The signature on my painting is quite different, much more flowing and European. Where can I send a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - bit of confusion on my part. Your signatures are on paintings. Mine is on the back of the board, in pencil, not paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 3 paintings by Carmen Z. Simpkins. We purchased these from her gallery in Grand Cayman on July 9th 1970.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 3 Carmen Z. Simpkins paintings. We purchased them from her gallery in Grand Cayman July 9th 1970.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 3 Carmen Z. Simpkins paintings. We purchased them from her gallery in Grand Cayman July 9th 1970.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 4 painting on wooden panels by Carmen Z. Simpkins I purchased them at her gallery in Sebastian Florida 15 or 20 years ago. I listened to her stories about her as a young girl in a school in Europe. The most interesting person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Tasha Halpert and I am Carmen Simpkins daughter. I would be happy to answer any questions about my late mother that you might care to ask. My email is Tashahal@gmail.com. Please feel free to write to me and I will be most happy to tell you whatever I can in answer to any questions. Warmest Wishes, Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. We met your mom at her gallery Sebastian Florida about in the late 1980s and spoke with her at length about her art and her travels. Are her paintings being shown or displayed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this blog site while researching Simpkins’ writing. I was reading a book by her that I found in a used book store called, ‘Simple Confucianism.’ In the forward it talked about her as a painter as well. As an artist myself I was so pleasantly surprised to find this writer was also an artist. V.skip

    ReplyDelete
  13. What are current prices of Carmen Simpkins paintings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. You will need to do your own research on that topic. This blog is not about valuing items, just sharing them.

      Delete