Sunday, July 8, 2012

Who Be Ware?





unnamed, J A Ware, 12" x 9", oil on board

This painting was purchased on ebay from a seller in San Diego who guessed it was a 1930s vintage painting. The only artist I can find with initials J. A. was John Angus Ware, about who little information is available, but whose work does not particularly resemble the work of this artist, being much more realistic in style. This piece appears to be in the original frame and is under glass, which is unusual for an oil painting. It could date to the 1930s, but could also be a bit earlier or a bit later. There is nothing about the painting that really helps to definitively date it. The signature is somewhat distinctive, though. Any help appreciated.



3 comments:

  1. Looks like a hobbyist piece to me.Good luck~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, probably the work of an amateur and probably won't ever know anything about the artist. I really bought this painting for the frame, which I really like. This is one of my favorite painting sizes, and I have several paintings of this size in the queue waiting on the right frame. Getting some extra research mileage out of my purchase to see if anyone recognizes this artist.... Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
    2. It may have been the work of my gr. gr. gr. grandfather, Jedediah Allen Ware. He was a Civil War vet from New Jersey, who later owned a railroad construction company in St. Louis before moving to San Diego where he died sometime in the mid to late 1920s.

      Delete