Monday, February 28, 2011

The "other" Eliot O'Hara?


unnamed, Eliot O'Hara, 18" x 13", watercolor



Mystery solved! After considerable research, I have determined that this painting is the work of well known artist Eliot O'Hara (1890-1969). O'Hara infrequently signed in this manner, and also infrequently created portraits. See the "Other Artists" page of my web site for a more detailed explanation of my research. My art collection web site can be reached using the link at the upper right of this page.
 




    This was represented by the seller as the work of Eliot O'Hara (1890-1969). This seems unlikely as the signature does not match that on any other work by O'Hara that I have seen, and O'Hara's works typically sell for hundreds of dollars at minimum. Every work by O'Hara that I have been able to examine is signed in capital block letters. It is possible that there were two artists by this name, or that this is an attempt to fake a painting by the well known artist. It is also possible that O'Hara also sometimes signed his work in cursive. I am still researching the identity of this artist. Any input on this investigation is welcome.
    I bought this painting because I think it is a really amazing painting. I like the artist's use of light and shadow and the way that the artist captured the subject's eyes. I like the subdued colors and general mood of the painting, too. The painting was purchased from a dealer in Bothell, Washington, but has the framing label of "Herbert W. Keeble, Picture Framing, 441 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, California". The frame is extremely well made and beautiful, marked "Made in Belgium", and the framing and matting are exceptionally well done. I am working on an image of the framed painting.




2 comments:

  1. Kevin,

    Has anyone showed you Herbert Keeble's obit? The best I've ever read.

    www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/.../MNKEEBLEHE7..

    Clare Noonan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare!
      Yes, the obituary is on my art collection web site, which can be reached at the link near the top right of this page under "Some useful links".

      Best,

      Kevin

      Delete